Edited/Updated: 25 April 2016
This is the ancestry of Gran’s Great-Great Grandmother Jane Trant, beginning with Gran’s 6th Great Grandfather John Trant.
First Known Generation
(Gran’s 6th Great Grandfather and Daniel “Dano”, Aidan, Lillian, Callen, Leif and Wyatt’s 8th Great Grandfather)
C. JOHNC TRANT, was born probably in Devon, England about 1715 and died at Sherford, Devon, England on 7 Oct 1781. He is buried at St. Martin of Tours in Sherford, Devon, England. He married in probably Devon about 1740, DOROTHY (_____).
Child of John and Dorothy (_____) Trant:
B. i. JOHNB TRANT born at, possibly, South Pool, Devon on 26 Jun 1743 and died at Sherford on 3 Jan 1810.
B. JOHNB TRANT, (JohnC) was born, possibly, at South Pool, Devonshire, England on 26 Jun 1743 and died at Sherford, Devonshire on 3 Jan 1810. He married in Devon on 30 Aug 1772, ELIZABETH FOAL.
Children of John and Elizabeth (Foal) Trant:
A. i. ELIZABETHA TRANT,
A. ii. JOHNA TRANT,
A. iii. RICHARDA TRANT,
A. iv. SARAHA TRANT,
A. v. WILLIAMA TRANT,
A. WILLIAMA TRANT, (JohnB, JohnC) was born at Sherford, Devon, England in Sep 1786 and died in Devon on 6 Dec 1869. He married in Devon on 9 Jan 1812, MARY ANNE EDWARDS.
Children of William and Mary Anne (Edwards) Trant:
1. i. JOHN¹ TRANT, was born at Sherford on 18 May 1812 and died in Grimes County, Texas in 1854.
1. ii. RICHARD TRANT, was born at Sherford abt. 1817 and died at Tregoad Manor Farm House, near St. Martin, Cornwall, England on 2 Jan 1891.
1. iii. WILLIAM TRANT, was born at Sherford about 1820 and died at Stoke Fleming on 15 Nov 1890. He married MARY JARVIS.
1. iv. PHILIP TRANT, was born at Sherford about 1824 and died at Kingsbridge on 18 Jul 1899. He married ELIZABETH COAD.
1. v. SARAH JANE TRANT, was born in Devon about 1826 and died in Devon. She married LEWIS EDWARDS.
1. vi. JAMES TRANT, b. in Devon abt. 1831
1. vii. ELEANOR TRANT, was born at East Allington, Devon on 24 Jul 1832 and died at East Allington on 9 May 1904. She married in Devon, HENRY STEER GEYLE.
Fourth Generation (First in America)
1. i. JOHN¹ TRANT, (WilliamA, JohnB, JohnC) was born at Sherford, Devon, England on 18 May 1812 and died at Keith, Grimes County, Texas on 30 Sep 1854. He married at Slapton, Devon on 24 Jun 1835, ELIZABETH JARVIS.
John and Elizabeth and their eldest seven children emigrated to Galveston, Texas on 7 Mar 1849 from Torquay, Devon, England.
Children of John and Elizabeth (Jarvis) Trant:
2. i. MARY JANE² TRANT, was born at Kingsbridge, Devon in Jan 1838 and died in the USA. She married in Grimes County, Texas on 4 Jul 1855, MONTGOMERY B. HARRISON.
2. ii. ELIZABETH “BESSIE” HOWELL² TRANT, was born at Kingsbridge on 11 Mar 1839 and died at Blum, Hill County, Texas on 12 Aug 1917. She married in Texas before 1868, JOHN T. MOON.
2. iii. JOHN² TRANT (died in battle), was born at Kingsbridge about 1840 and died at Sharpsburg, Washington County, Maryland, on 17 Sep 1862. He died in battle as a Confederate soldier in the American Civil War. The Battle of Antietam “On September 17, 1862, Generals Robert E. Lee and George McClellan faced off near Antietam creek in Sharpsburg, Maryland, in the the first battle of the American Civil War to be fought on northern soil. Though McClellan failed to utlilize his numerical superiority to crush Lee’s army, he was able to check the Confederate advance into the north. After a string of Union defeats, this tactical victory provided Abraham Lincoln the political cover he needed to issue his Emancipation Proclamation. Though the result of the battle was inconclusive, it remains the bloodiest single day in American history, with more than 22,000 casualties.”
2. iv. PRISCILLA² TRANT, was born at East Allington, Devon on 23 Nov 1841 and she died at Bryan, Brazos County, Texas on 30 Dec 1922. She married in Grimes County, Texas on 22 Feb 1859, WILLIAM ANDREWS.
Transcription of Obituary from The Bryan Daily Eagle, Sat., 30 Dec. 1922
PASSING OF MRS. WM ANDREWS, A PIONEER
Mrs. William (Priscilla) Andrews died Saturday morning at 7 o’clock after a long illness. Mrs. Andrews was born in England and moved to Grimes County with her parents in 1850. She was 81 years of age and has been living in Brazos County for 50 years. Mrs. Andrews was a member of the Methodist Church. The funeral will take place at 9 o’clock at Steep Hollow Cemetery and be conducted by Rev. Sample of Georgetown. She leaves nine children, five sons and five daughters, to mourn her death, J.L. Andrews, Abilene; Will J. Andrews of College; Mrs. Robert Carroll, Harvey; R.P. Andrews, Blum; Mrs. W.M. Crenshaw of Bryan; Mrs. Oscar Minkert of Greenville; OlL. Andrews, Harvey; Mrs. J.H. Nash of Bryan; V.C. Andrews of Steep Hollow, one daughter, Mrs. A.F. Peters, died at Hondo eight years ago. Her husband, William Andrews, died in 1906 at Harvey.
2. v. SAMUEL AMON² TRANT, was born in Kingsbridge on 19 May 1843 and died in Keith, Grimes County, Texas on 22 Jun 1905. He is buried in the Trant Cemetery in Iola, Grimes County, Texas, USA. He married, second, in Grimes County, on 6 Apr 1871, WILLIE ANN MOSELEY. He served in the American Civil War with the Confederate States Army from 3 May 1862 to 28 Feb 1863.
2. vi. RICHARD² TRANT, was born at Kingsbridge, Devon, England in Sep 1844 and died in Grimes County, Texas in Oct 1873. He is buried in the Trant Cemetery at Iola, Texas. Served in the Confederate States Army during the US Civil War.
2. vii. JANE² TRANT, was born at Totnes, Devon, England in Jun 1847 and died in Grimes County, Texas on 25 Feb 1907. She married in Grimes County on 22 Feb 1865, first, W.D. DAVIS. She married in Grimes County on 19 Oct 1870, second, CHARLES EDWARD DAVIS.
2. viii. WILLIAM PHILIP K. TRANT, was born in Grimes County, Texas on 23 Jul 1854 and died at Bryan, Brazos County, Texas on 3 Nov 1940. He married in Grimes County on 1 Jun 1870, ELLA JANE THOMAS.
2. vii. JANE² TRANT, (John¹, WilliamA, JohnB, JohnC) was born in Totnes, Devon, England in Jun 1847 and died in Grimes County, Texas on 25 Feb 1907. She married in Grimes County, Texas on 22 Feb 1865, first, W. D. DAVIS. She married in Grimes County on 19 Oct 1870, second, CHARLES EDWARD DAVIS.
She arrived at Galveston, Texas, on 11 May 1849. She was one year old.
Children of Charles Edward and Jane (Trant) Davis:
3. i. CHARLES EDWARD DAVIS, b. in Grimes County, Texas on 7 April 1879
3. ii. MARY E. “MOLLY” DAVIS, b.
3. iii. RICHARD LAURENCE “LONNIE” DAVIS, b. in Grimes County on 14 March 1874.
3. iv. LILLIAN PRISCILLA DAVIS, b. in Grimes County, Texas on 3 May 1881; d. at Marlow, Stephens County, Oklahoma on 16 July 1966
3. v. ELIZABETH B. DAVIS, born in Grimes County, Texas in Sep 1885
SOURCES AND NOTES:
Norm’s Nook – Descendants of Abraham Jarvis