Edited/Updated: 5 April 2016
Paget Coat of Arms / Paget Family Crest
This surname PAGET was derived from the Old French PAGE – a boy in charge of the chamber. The name was brought into England in the wake of the Norman Invasion of 1066. Early records of the name mention William Paget of the County of Sussex in 1327. Johannes Paget of Yorkshire, was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Later instances of the name mention John Briggs and Mary Padgett who were married at St. George’s, Hanover Square, London in the year 1779. John Kellick and Elizabeth Paget were married at the same church in the year 1807. Surnames as we know them today were first assumed in Europe from the 11th until the 15th century. They had not been in use in England before the Invasion of William the Conqueror in 1066, when they were introduced into England by the Normans. They themselves had not long before adopted them. It became, in course of time, a mark of gentler blood, and it was deemed a disgrace for a gentleman to have but one single name, as the meaner sort. It was not until the reign of Edward II (1307-1327) that it became general practice for all people. At first the coat of arms was a practical matter which served a function on the battlefield and in tournaments. With his helmet covering his face, and armour encasing the knight from head to foot, the only means of identification for his followers, was the insignia painted on his shield, and embroidered on his surcoat, the draped and flowing garment worn over the armour. A family by the name Paget, who hold the marquessate of Anglesey, first became prominent with William Paget (1506-63) whose father was said to have been of humble origin from Wednesbury, Staffordshire. He acquired large estates from Henry VIII. on the dissolution of the monasteries. The family also held the title Earl of Uxbridge. This was first granted in 1784 to a relative by marriage, Henry Bayly who took the name Page or Paget in 1766. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. The arms were registered at Cranmore Hall in the County of Somerset.~ From: Paget Coat of Arms
The Knights of England. A complete record from the earliest time to the present day of the knights of all the orders of chivalry in England, Scotland, and Ireland, and of knights bachelors, incorporating a complete list of knights bachelors dubbed in Ireland:
[ ? 1543-4.] WILLIAM PAGET, of Bromley, Co. Stafford (afterwards lord Paget de Beaudesert).
Pagett Family Name: The English surname Paget, a diminutive of Page, is of occupational or official origin, belonging to that category of names based on the type of work a man once did of profession he pursued. In this instance, the name is traceable to the Old English title ‘Page’ which denoted a young servitor, an apprentice knight. The page usually trained in the noble man’s house where he was an attendant. After his apprenticeship he was granted the right to bear arms and he became a knight. The name Paget is derived from the English name “page”, and ultimately from the Greek “paidion” which is the diminutive of “pais” meaning boy or child. References to the surname Pagett include Johannes Paget who was listed as a taylor in the Poll Tax of Yorkshire in 1379.