(Rust and Boettner)
Updated/Edited: 8 April 2016
Teresa (Hamilton/Pepper) Rust – firstname.lastname@example.org
Rust Name Meaning
Swiss German: topographic name for someone who lived by a prominent elm tree, Rust (Old High German ruost), or in northern Germany for someone who lived by a resting place or halt along a route, from Middle Low German ruste ‘rest’.English (chiefly East Anglia) and Scottish: nickname for someone with red hair or a ruddy complexion, from Old English rust ‘rust’ (from a Germanic root meaning ‘red’).
Source: Dictionary of American Family Names ©2013, Oxford University Press
Rust Surname Y-DNA Project at Family Tree DNA Kit # 132241
Rust Family Photos! NEW
This is the ancestry of Claude Delano Rust, beginning with his (Prussian) German immigrant ancestor, Paul Rust, in the 18th century:
First Generation in America
(Bruce and Brad’s 4th Great Grandfather)
1. PAUL¹ RUST, was born in Prussia about 1740 and died in Pennsylvania about 1790. He married in Prussia about 1760, MARY MAGDALENE STINCHCOMB.
Have you been able to follow Brad’s family records in Germany? Seems like a Rust must have married a Frischmuth at some point. There must be a connection to Wertheim Lutheran church records somewhere. In the late 1600’s and early 1700’s the Frischmuth families in Wertheim were typically large with many children and cousins. They eventually spread out all around Germany and Austria. It may also be possible that there was a Rust family in Wertheim. If you can check the IGI records for a Rust in Wertheim, this might be a connection. I did a quick search on Familysearch.org. I found the following: “Clas Ruscht married Anna, 9 Feb 1613, in Wertheim, Germany. Ref: LDS film #1238275” Anna may well be a Frishmuth and the Rust name could easily be Ruscht. You may want to get this film and check the details. This may be the family connection you are looking for. ~Ron Frishmuth – email@example.com
For more information about Paul Rust: Descendants of Paul Rust
Children of Paul and Mary (Stinchcomb) Rust:
2. i. HANNAH² RUST, born prob. Baltimore Co., MD on 3 Sep 1762.
2. ii. CHARLES² RUST+, born in Pennsylvania on 3 Apr 1764.
2. iii. JONATHAN² RUST, born abt. 1766
2. iv. LENARD² RUST,
2. v. PAUL² RUST,
2. vi. THOMAS² RUST,
2. vii. SARAH² RUST,
2. viii. MARY² RUST, b.in Baltimore Co. about 1776; m. 26 Dec 1798, MICHAEL CLERY.
2. ix. NANCY² RUST, b. abt. 1778
2. x. SAMUEL² RUST, b.in Baltimore Co., abt. 1780 m.; 21 Jul 1802, MARTHA DEAN.
(Bruce and Brad’s 3rd Great Grandfather)
2. ii. CHARLES² RUST (Paul¹) was born in Pennsylvania on 3 Apr 1764 and died at Baltimore, Baltimore County, Maryland on 10 February 1815. He married in Baltimore County on 5 Jan 1783, MARY MAGDALENE SHARMILLER.
Children of Charles and Mary Magdalene (Sharmiller) Rust:
3. i. JOHN RUST, b. at Baltimore in 1785; died 1815
3. ii. CATHERINE RUST, b. at Baltimore in 1786
3. iii. DOROTHEA RUST, b. at Baltimore in 1788 m.; in Baltimore Co., 9 Mar 1805; m. BENJAMIN PARLETT.
3. iv. NANCY ANN RUST, b. in Baltimore in 1790
3. v. GEORGE WASHINGTON³ RUST+, b. at Baltimore, MD on 29 Jan 1792
3. vi. CHARLES RUST, b. at Baltimore in 1793; died very young
3. vii. PAUL RUST, b. at Baltimore in 1794
3. viii. CHARLES S. RUST, b. at Baltimore in 1795
3. ix. ABRAHAM RUST, b. at Baltimore in 1797
3. x. ANDREW RUST, b. at Baltimore in 1799 d. 1815
3. xi. LYDIA D. RUST, b. at Baltimore in 1802 Twin?
3. xii. JESSE RUST, b. at Baltimore in Jun 1802 Twin?
3. xiii. MARY RUST, b. at Baltimore in 1804
3. HENRY RUST, b. in Maryland in 1807
3. LEVI RUST, b. at Baltimore in 1810
(Bruce and Brad’s 2nd Great-Grandfather)
3. v. GEORGE WASHINGTON³ RUST (Charles², Paul¹) was born at Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland on 29 Jan 1792 and died at Keene, Adams County, Illinois on 3 Mar 1874. He married, MARY MCCHESNEY.
George was baptized at St. Paul Protestant Episcopal Church in Baltimore, Maryland on 19 Oct 1792. He left Maryland before 30 Jan 1833 when his son Charles Wesley was born in Ohio.
Children of George Washington and Mary (McChesney) Rust:
4. CHARLES WESLEY RUST, b. in Clermont County, Ohio on 30 Jan 1833
4. SAMUEL MCCHESNEY4 RUST+, b. at Keene, Illinois on 21 Dec 1835
(Bruce and Brad’s Great Grandfather)
4. SAMUEL MCCHESNEY4 RUST (George W.³, Charles², Paul¹) was born at Keene, Adams County, Illinois on 21 Dec 1835 and died at Tacoma, Pierce County, Washington on 18 Aug 1925. He married in Adams County, Illinois on 7 Oct 1860, first, REBECCA E. CRANK. Rebecca died in Adams County on 10 Sep 1866. He married, second, at Lincoln Township, Putnam County, Missouri on 27 Dec 1870, ISABEL E. “Bell” MARTIN.
Children of Samuel McChesney and Rebecca E. (Crank) Rust:
5. i. MARY5 RUST, b.in Adams County, Illinois about 1862
Children of Samuel McChesney and Isabel E. (Martin) Rust:
5. ii. CLAUDE DELANO5 RUST+, b. in Missouri on 14 Oct 1871
5. iii. CHAUNCEY GEORGE RUST, b. in Missouri on 31 Jan 1873
5. iv. LAFAUN C. RUST, b. in Missouri and died in Washington
5. v. FANNIE RUST, b. in Missouri about 1875
5. vi. MAUDE RUST, b. in Missouri in 1877
5. vii. OTTO J. RUST, b. in Missouri in 1878
(Bruce and Brad’s Grandfather)
5. ii. CLAUDE DELANO5 RUST, (Samuel M.4, George W.³, Charles², Paul¹) was born at Kirksville, Adair County, Missouri on 14 Oct 1871 and died at Tacoma, Pierce County, Washington on 2 Oct 1933. He married in Pierce on 16 Oct 1907, ANNA LENA BOETTNER.
14 Oct – Born in Kirksville, Adair, Missouri
5 Jun – Age 8 and living with the family in Lincoln, Putnam, Missouri.
16 Oct – Dr. C. D. Rust married Miss Annie L. Bittner in Spanaway, Pierce County, Washington, by Minister E. A. Erickson. Witnesses: Dr. C. M. L. Briscoe and Mrs. C. E. Mahon.
Living at 910 E. 34th in Tacoma, Washington and practicing as an Osteopath.
2 May – US Census Claude D., Annie L. and Ulna E. (age 1 year and 10 mos.) all living in Spanaway, Pierce, Washington. Their next-door neighbors were Samuel M., Isabel E. and Maud Rust.
Claude D. and Annie L. Rust are in the Bellingham, Washington Directory
Children of Claude Delano and Anna Lena (Boettner) Rust:
6. i. ULNA ELLEN6 RUST+, b. in Pierce County, Washington in 1908. She married, first, in Pierce County, on 19 Jun 1928, DAVID V. RICE, of Pierce County.
6. ii. CHAUNCEY GEORGE6 RUST+, b. at Tacoma, Pierce, Washington on 8 Oct 1917 and died at Redwood City, San Mateo County, California on 4 Jun 1993.
6. iii. ZELLA LENA6 RUST+, b. in Pierce County, Washington on 29 Jun 1916 and died at San Jose, California on 26 Dec 2005. She married, first, CHARLES NEWTON MATTHEWS.
6. iv. SAMUEL MCCHESNEY6 RUST+, born
6. i. ULNA ELLEN6 RUST+, (Claude D.5, Samuel M.4, George W.³, Charles², Paul¹), was born in Pierce County, Washington in 1908. She married, first, in Pierce County on 19 Jun 1928, DAVID V. RICE of Pierce County.
6. ii. CHAUNCEY GEORGE6 RUST+, (Claude D.5, Samuel M.4, George W.³, Charles², Paul¹),
6. iii. ZELLA LENA6 RUST+, (Claude D.5, Samuel M.4, George W.³, Charles², Paul¹)
6. iv. SAMUEL MCCHESNEY6 RUST+, (Claude D.5, Samuel M.4, George W.³, Charles², Paul¹),
References and Sources:
Descendants of Paul Rust website created by Richard M. Caudle.