Published on: 1 May 2012
Updated: 18 Oct 2016
Every attempt has been made to ensure accuracy; please independently verify all data.
** = Evelyn (Roork) Pepper’s Ancestry
* = Data Confirmed
Related surnames: Roork, Philips, Maynard, Moulder, Daugherty, Sammon
This is the ancestry of my Grandfather Claud Franklin Roork, beginning with his immigrant ancestor, Thomas Roork, born in Ireland in 1728.
(Claud Roork is Aidan, Lillian, Lief, Callen and Wyatt’s great-great-grandfather and Thomas Roork is their 7th great-grandfather from Ireland.)
First Generation in America
1. THOMAS¹ ROORK*, was born in Ireland, about 1728 and died in Rhea County*, Tennessee*, in 1835*. He was buried at the Roork Cemetery* at Ten Mile*, Rhea County, Tennessee and yes, he was 107/8 years old! Thomas married possibly in North Carolina about 1790, SUSANNAH (_____),
1. My distant cousin Alice (Roork) Maxson has this to say about Thomas Roork at, “The Thomas Roork family of Meig’s County, TN” at Genealogy.com: “THOMAS ROORK, SR. 1728 to 1835 Thomas Sr, lived with his wife Susanna in Blount County, TN, where Thomas Jr. and his brother Samuel were born. Thomas SR testified of his conversion from Catholicism to Methodism in Dublin on February 21, 1762. In the years following he was “received into the itinerancy” by John and Charles Wesley and preached in Dublin, Limerick and other places. The Irish Methodist Church has him “departed from the work, presumably to go to America” in 1770. Thomas SR was a Loyalist in the American Revolution, listed with the King’s American Regiment, Captain Robert Gray’s Company, Commanded by Colonel Edmund Fanning.” ~Alice
2. From: Irish Ancestors – Methodist Records Online:
“Despite the hostility of many of the clergy of the Church of Ireland, the Methodist movement remained unequivocally a part of the Established Church from the date of its beginnings in 1747, when John Wesley first came to Ireland, until 1816, when the movement split. Between 1747 and 1816, therefore, records of Methodist baptisms, marriages and burials will be found in the registers of the Church of Ireland.”
3. The King’s American Regiment led by Lt. Col. George Campbell participated in at least one remarkable event, the “Evacuation of Charleston” on 14 Dec 1782. I am not sure if our Thomas Roork was there on that day. Never the less it is an interesting story!
4. firstname.lastname@example.org – “Hi Teresa, Unfortunately all records from the Registers for the parish of St Michan’s Church of Ireland Church dating from 1636 up to 1877 were placed in the Public Records Office, as decreed by law at the time, and perished in the destruction of the Office in 1922 by fire. There are 2 churches called St Michan’s in the Dublin 7 area, quite close – 1 is Roman Catholic and 1 is Church of Ireland. If you want to contact the Catholic Church, contact them at email@example.com I don’t know what church records online you are referring to. Regards, Patricia Parfrey, Parish Administrator.”
Thomas ROORK, Sr’s gravestone at findagrave.com, shows that his name was spelled ROORK, rather than the ROARK spelling, and this helps to distinguish between the unrelated ROARK families in the same time and area. It is true that some of the later generations of ROORKs changed their name to ROARK, but that is not the original spelling on the earliest records of Thomas ROORK, Sr. and his children and grandchildren.
He was known as Thomas ROORK, Sr, to distinguish him from his son, Thomas ROORK, Jr.. Thomas ROORK, Sr. and his wife Susanna had at least TWO two sons.
Children of Thomas and Susanna (_____) Roork:
**2. i. SAMUEL THOMAS² ROORK*+, (Thomas¹), b. North Carolina*, about 1795. VERIFIED THROUGH Y-DNA!
2. ii. THOMAS² ROORK*, born Blount County, Tennessee on 15 Jun 1796.
*NOTE: The land that is now Tennessee was then part of colonial North Carolina. It became a state in 1796.
**2. i. SAMUEL THOMAS² ROORK* (Thomas¹), was born in North Carolina, about 1795 and he was still alive on 22 Jun 1860 (time of the 1860 US Census) and may have died in Carroll County, Arkansas. He married in Blount County, Tennessee on 6 Sep 1816, TABITHA SARAH PHILLIPS, parents unknown. Tabitha was born about 1797, and was still alive on 22 Jun 1860.
Children of Samuel Thomas and Tabitha Sarah (Phillips) Roork:
**3. i. JOHN M.³ ROORK*+, b. in Blount County, Tennessee, before 3 Sep 1816.
3. ii. MARY ANN³ ROORK, b. in Rhea County, Tennessee, before 29 Oct 1828.
3. iii. ABNER³ ROORK, b. in Rhea County, Tennessee, before 3 Sep 1830.
3. iv. JAMES W.³ ROORK, b. in Rhea County, TN, before 29 Oct 1831.
3. v. THOMAS HENRY³ ROORK, b. in Rhea County, TN, before 29 Oct 1835.
3. vi. NANCY E.³ ROORK, b. in Meigs County, Tennessee, before 22 Aug 1841.
**3. i. JOHN M.³ ROORK, (Samuel Thomas², Thomas¹), was born in Blount County, Tennessee, before 3 Sep 1816 and died before 1870. He married in Tennessse about 1839, PHEBE MAYNARD/MAINARD. Phebe was born in Tennessee on 25 May 1819.
Carroll County, Arkansas 1860 Census Index:
1126 ROARK, Abner 30 m TN widower; blind; can’t read or write
1126 ROARK, Christopher C 17 m TN farmer [Christopher Columbus]
1126 ROARK, Edy M 15 f TN [b1844, TN]
1126 ROARK, Harriet Elen 11 f TN
1126 ROARK, James W 3 m TN orphan [son of Abner?]
1126 ROARK, Jane 5 f TN orphan [dau. of Abner?]
1126 ROARK, John 44 m TN farmer [John M. Roork b1816]
1126 ROARK, John G 5 m AR [John G. b1854]
1126 ROARK, Joseph W 2 m TN orphan [son of Abner?]
1126 ROARK, Lysander C 11/12 f AR [b 29 Jun 1859]
1126 ROARK, Mary Ann 3 f AR [born May 1857]
1126 ROARK, Phebe 41 f TN [born 25 May 1819, TN]
1126 ROARK, Samuel T 9 m TN
1126 ROARK, Sarah L 14 f TN
1126 ROARK, Susan C 19 f TN
1126 ROARK, William H 7 m TN
885 ROARKE, Nancy E 19 f TN
885 ROARKE, Sam’l. 65 m VA farmer [Samuel Roork born 1795]
885 ROARKE, Tabitha 63 f NC can’t read or write
Children of John M. and Phebe (Maynard) Roork:
4. i. SUSAN CATHERINE ROORK b. in TN on 4 Jul 1840; d. in AR in Mar 1923; bur. Western Grove, Newton, Arkansas, 15 Mar 1923; m. REV. GREEN O’DANIEL, JR.
4. ii. CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS ROORK, b. TN abt. 1843; d. btw. Sep 1862 and 1865 (probably in American Civil War); m. in Carroll County, Arkansas, after 4 Sep 1860, CHARLOTTE CERENA ROSS.
4. iii. EDITH MATILDA “EDY” ROORK, b. TN, 1844; d. AR, 12 Jun 1883; m. in Arkansas, about 1863, JOHN CORNELIUS ROSS.
4. iv. SARAH LOUISE ROORK, b. in TN bef. Aug 1846; m. JOHN HENRY COFFMAN.
4. v. HARRIET ELLEN ROORK, b. in TN abt. 1849; m. WILLIAM R. SPEER.
**4. vi. SAMUEL THOMAS ROORK+, b. in Carroll County, AR on 4 Aug 1850; d. at Shawnee, Pottawatomie County, OK, on 2 Feb 1933; bur. in Tucumcari, Quay, NM, on Feb 1933.
4. vii. WILLIAM H ROORK, born in Arkansas in 1853.
4. viii. JOHN G. ROORK, b. in Arkansas on 14 Jun 1854; d. at Pyatt, Marion, AR, on Nov 1937; m.in Boone County, AR in March 1877, REBECCA LAMB.
4. ix. MARY ANN ROORK, born in Arkansas in May 1857.
4. x. LYSANDER COOPER ROORK, b. in Carroll County, AR, on 29 Jul 1859.
5. FRED LUND ROORK, b. in 1884
6. LEONARD CARL ROORK, b. in 1910
7. RITA ROORK,
4. xi. JEFFERSON DAVIS ROORK, b. in Harrison, Boone, AR, on 11 Nov 1861; d. at Muskogee, Muskogee, OK, 4 Sep 1930; m. in Harrison on 29 Oct 1882, SARAH F. “SALLIE” DABBS.
**4. vi. SAMUEL THOMAS ROORK, (John M.³, Samuel Thomas², Thomas¹), was born in Carroll County, Arkansas on 4 Aug 1850 and died at Shawnee, Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma on 2 Feb 1933. He was buried at Tucumcari, Quay, New Mexico in Feb 1933. He married in Boone County, Arkansas on 22 Dec 1870, AMANDA MELVINA MOULDER. Amanda is the daughter of SAMUEL MOULDER and NANCY LUSTER. She was born at McMinnville, Warren, Tennessee on 11 Dec 1848.
Children of Samuel Thomas and Amanda Melvina (Moulder) Roork:
5. i. LULIA E. ROORK/ROARK, b. at Harrison, Boone County, AR; died in Heaton, Wells County, North Dakota in 1941. (Heaton is now a Ghost Town)
5. ii. WILLIAM PARKER ROORK, b. at Harrison, Boone, AR on 2 Jan 1873; d. at Harrison, Boone, AR on 11 Feb 1959; m.at Bellefonte, Boone, Arkansas on 25 Dec 1901, EMMA ELIZABETH BRYAN,
5. iii. NANCY PHOEBE KATHERINE JANE ROORK, b. at Harrison, Boone, AR, on 5 May 1874; d. at Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California on 24 Oct 1948.
5. iv. LELA M. ROORK, born Boone County, Tennessee about 1778; died in Boone County, TN in 1880.
**5. v. LUSTER MAYNARD “SHORTY” ROORK+, b. at Harrison, Boone, AR on 29 Jan 1879; d. at Duncan, Stephens, OK on 16 Nov 1953.
5. vi. OMA ROORK, b. at Harrison, Boone, AR on 17 Oct 1880; d. at South Gate, Los Angeles County, CA on 16 Jun 1938; m. at White Oak, Boone, Arkansas, OTIS YORK .
5. vii. TWIN (of Oma), b. at Harrison, Boone, AR, on 17 Oct 1880; died in 1881.
5. viii. SAMUEL THOMAS “THOMAS” ROORK, b. at Harrison, Boone, AR, on 30 Oct 1882.
5. ix. CHARLEY ROORK, born in Boone County, Arkansas, in 1885.
5. x. HARLEY HOUSTON ROORK, b. at Harrison, Boone, AR, on 23 Apr 1887; d. at Shawnee, Pottawatomie, OK on 17 Jun 1961.
5. xi. HARVEY LEE ROORK, b. at Harrison, Boone, AR on 19 Apr 1889; d. at Shawnee, Pottawatomie, OK on 22 Dec 1946.
5. xii. VERTIE B. ROORK, born at Eureka Springs, Carroll, Arkansas on 23 Aug 1891.
**5. v. LUSTER MAYNARD “SHORTY” ROORK, (Samuel Thomas 4, John M.³, Samuel Thomas², Thomas¹), was born at Harrison, Boone County, Arkansas on 29 Jan 1879 and died at Duncan, Stephens County, Oklahoma on 16 Nov 1953. He married at Wagoner, Indian Territory (now Oklahoma), on 5 Mar 1905, CORA ALICE DAUGHERTY. Cora Alice is the daughter of JOSEPH S. DAUGHERTY and AMMA FALINA DOWDEN.
Children of Luster Maynard and Cora Alice (Daugherty) Roork:
6. i. EDCAR ROORK, b 1906 d. 1906 (died at birth)
6. ii. AMY MELVINA ROORK, b. in OK on 2 Jan 1909; d. at Duncan, OK on 29 Jun 2004.
**6. iii. CLAUD FRANKLIN ROORK, born at Grandfield, Tillman County, Oklahoma on 15 May 1911; died in Roswell, Chaves County, New Mexico in 2005.
6. iv. HAROLD MAYNARD ROORK, b. in Oklahoma on 22 Dec 1913.
6. v. MARY PAULINE ROORK, born on 18 Oct 1916
6. vi. BONNIE SUE ROORK, born on 9 Apr 1919
6. vii. WILLIAM CLAY “BILL” ROORK, born on 14 Apr 1924
**6. iii. CLAUD FRANKLIN ROORK, (Luster 5, Samuel Thomas 4, John M.³, Samuel Thomas², Thomas¹) was born at Grandfield, Tillman, Oklahoma, on 15 May 1911 and died in Roswell, Chaves County, New Mexico, on 29 Mar 2005. Claud married in Marlow, Stephens County, Oklahoma, RACHEL FAY SAMMON.
Children of Claud Franklin and Rachel Fay (Sammon) Roork:
7. i. EVELYN JOYE ROORK*, was born at Marlow*, Stephens County, Oklahoma on 20 Aug 1936* and died at Redding*, Shasta County, California on 29 Oct 2015*. She married at Dexter, New Mexico on 19 Mar 1955, JOHN WESLEY KEITH PEPPER*. She was buried at the Northern California Veteran’s Cemetery* at Igo*, Shasta County, California on 16 Nov 2015*, next to her beloved husband, Wes.
Biographical Notes: In attendance at the burial was Teresa, John, Terri, Duane and Helga.
7. ii. Living Daughter
7. iii. Living Daughter
7. iv. Living Son
7. v. Living Son
For More Information about the ROORK Family: