Published: 30 Jan 2015
Updated: 18 Oct 2016
Every attempt has been made to ensure accuracy; please independently verify all data.
** = Wes Pepper’s Ancestry
* = Data Confirmed
Related surnames: Brooks, Burt, Barnard, Walker, Neavens and Strickland.
Betsey Brooks is Teresa’s 3rd great-grandmother and Aidan, Daniel, Lillian, Callen, Lief and Wyatt’s 5th great-grandmother.
AR = Served in the American Revolution
First Generation in the New World
(Teresa’s 7th Great-Grandfather and the kids’ 9th Great-Grandfather)
**1. WILLIAM¹ BROOKS* was born in England sometime between 1610 to 1628 and died at Deerfield*, Franklin, Massachusetts on 30 Oct 1688*. He married, at Springfield*, Hampshire County (now Hampden), Massachusetts* on 18 Oct 1654*, MARY BURT*, the daughter of HENRY BURT* and ULALIA MARCHE* of Devon, England*.
More about William Brooks can be found at: Tributaries, Genealogies of the Brooks Families of New England. The first record of William Brooks in New England is on 6 Feb 1648/9 in Springfield, Hampshire, Massachusetts:
1648 SIGNERS OF THE OATH OF FIDELITY:
6 Feb 1648 At a Court this 6 Feb 1648 . The underwritten tooke the oath of Fidelity:
The Oath of Fidelity
I, ___________, being by Gods provedence an Inhabitant within the Jurisdiction of this Common-wealth, doe freely and sincerely acknowledge myselfe to be subject to the Government thereof. And doe heer swear by the great and dreadfull Name of the Ever-living God, that I will be true and faithful to the same, and will accordingly yield assistance thereunto, with my person and estate, as in equitie I am bound: and will also truly endeavor to maintain and preserve all the Liberties and Privileges thereof, submitting myself unto the wholesome Laws made, and established by the same. And further, that I will not plot or practice any evil against it, or consent to any that shall so doe; but will timely discover and reveal the same to lawful Authoritie now here established, for the speedy preventing thereof. So help me God in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Children of William and Mary (Burt) Brooks:
2. i. REMEMBRANCE (____), b. 1654; m. JAMES BROWN [Illegitimate child of Mary Burt’s]
2. ii. WILLIAM² BROOKS, b. 1655; d. 1675 in King Philip’s War
2. iii. JOHN² BROOKS, b. 1657; d. 1675 in King Philip’s War
2. iv. SARAH² BROOKS, b. 1658; m. (1) JONATHAN TAYLOR (2) JOHN HANCHETT
2. v. MARY² BROOKS, b. 1659; d. young
2. vi. PATIENCE² BROOKS, b. 1661; m. THOMAS TAYLOR
2. vii. EBENEZER² BROOKS, b. 1662; m. ELIZABETH BELDING
2. viii. NATHANIEL² BROOKS, b. 1664; m. (1) MARY WILIIAMS; (2) MARY ALLIS
2. ix. ABIGAIL² BROOKS, b. 1665; m. SAMUEL STEBBINS
2. x. JOSEPH² BROOKS, b. 1667; m. LYDIA WARNER
2. xi. MERCY² BROOKS, b. 1669; m. SAMUEL CARTER
*2. xii. BENJAMIN² BROOKS+, b. at Springfield, Mass. 25 Jul 1671; m. MARY BARNARD.
2. xiii. DELIVERANCE BROOKS, TWIN, b. 1673; m. Mary Burt.
2. xiv. THANKFUL BROOKS, TWIN, b. 1673; d. 1673
2. xv. JONATHAN BROOKS, b. 1674
2. xvi. MARY BROOKS, b. 1677; m. BARRETT STEEL.
2. xvii. THANKFUL BROOKS, b. 1679; m. JOSIAH CHURCH
(Teresa’s 6th Great-Grandfather)
**2. xii. BENJAMIN² BROOKS, (William¹), was born at Springfield, Hampshire, Massachusetts on 25 Jul 1671 and died at Springfield on 3 May 1755*. He married at Springfield in 1693, MARY BARNARD*, daughter of Richard Barnard* and Sarah Clark*. (Sarah Clark* is the daughter of Elizabeth Stebbins*, the daughter of Rowland Stebbins*, Teresa’s 9th Great-Grandfather through the Stebbins line. 🙂 So basically my 6th great Grandfather Benjamin Brooks married my 2nd cousin 8 x’s removed, Mary Barnard.)
Biographical Notes: “Their son John/3s Brooks named a daughter Mary Barnard Brooks. A great-grandson was also named Barnard.” ~ Christopher Brooks SEE: TRIBUTARIES – About Mary Barnard.
Children of Benjamin and Mary (Barnard) Brooks:
**3. i. BENJAMIN³ BROOKS, b. at Springfield on 29 Sep 1693
3. ii. MARY BROOKS, b. at Springfield on 26 May 1695
3. iii. SARAH BROOKS, b. at Springfield on 15 Mar 1696
3. iv. ELIZABETH BROOKS, b. at Springfield on 24 Feb 1698
3. v. MERCY BROOKS, b. at Springfield on 12 Mar 1700
3. vi. JOHN BROOKS, b. at Springfield on 21 Mar 1703; had dau. named, Mary Barnard Brooks.
3. vii. THANKFUL BROOKS, b. at Springfield on 3 Feb 1704
3. viii. ABIGAIL BROOKS, b. at Springfield on 3 Dec 1706
3. ix. WILLIAM BROOKS, b. at Springfield on 1 Aug 1708
3. x. JOSEPH BROOKS, b. at Springfield on 6 Aug 1710
3. xi. SAMUEL BROOKS, b. at Springfield on 20 Aug 1712
3. xii. NOAH BROOKS, b. at Springfield on 24 Jan 1714
(Teresa’s 5th Great-Grandfather)
**3. i. BENJAMIN³ BROOKS, (Benj.², William¹) was born at Springfield, Hampshire, Massachusetts on 29 Sep 1693 and died at Springfield on 3 May 1755. He married, HANNAH WALKER.
Children of Benjamin and Hannah (Walker) Brooks:
4. i. BENJAMIN4 BROOKS, b. in 1726
4. ii. EDWARD BROOKS, b. at Western (now Warren), Mass. on 16 Mar 1728 AR
4. iii. HANNAH BROOKS, b. at Western on 31 May 1730
4. iv. PHENEAS BROOKS, TWIN, b. at Western on 30 Jun 1732
4. v. SIMEON BROOKS, TWIN, b. at Western on 30 Jun 1732
4. vi. ABNER BROOKS, b. at Western on 16 Aug 1734
4. vii. ELIZABETH BROOKS, b. at Western on 27 Sep 1736
4. viii. SARAH BROOKS, b. at Western on 17 Nov 1738
4. ix. MARTIN BROOKS, b. at Western on 26 Feb 1741
4. x. MERCY BROOKS, b.at Warren (Inc. 1742 from Western) on 30 Apr 1743
*4. xi. CALEB4 BROOKS, b. at Warren (Inc. 1742 from Western) on 22 Apr 1745; AR
(Teresa’s 4th Great-Grandfather)
**4. xi. CALEB4 BROOKS, served in the AMERICAN REVOLUTION, (Benj³, Benj.², William¹) was born at Warren (Incorporated from Western in 1742), Worcester, Massachusetts on 22 April 1745 and died at Greenwich, Hampshire, Massachusetts before 1830 . He married, first, at Warren in 1777, TRYPHENA KEYES. He married, second, at Warren on 27 Jan 1791, ABIGAIL WILLARD. He married, third, at Warren, on 13 Apr 1801, ANNA NEAVENS.
Biographical Notes:Caleb joined his older brothers and sister Mercy when he became a New England Planter in Nova Scotia sometime after 1759. The following fascinating account is found in the Journal of the House of Representatives of the United States, Volume 12, page 58, at The Library of Congress
Thursday, December 3, 1818
I found the above record via Christopher Brooks fantastic website which included the source for this information: (click on the following link and scroll down to bottom of page) Brooks, Christopher. Tributaries: Brooks Families of New England, genealogical website at tributaries.info, visited January 29, 2015. http://www.tributaries.info/p136.htm
Children of Caleb and Anna (Neavens) Brooks:
*5. i. BETSEY BROOKS, b. at Western, on 14 Nov 1801; d. 3 Jul 1874; m., JOHN STRICKLAND.
5. ii. WILLIAM BROOKS, about 1802
5. iii. JOHN BROOKS, about 1808
5. iv. CHARLES BROOKS, March 1812
5. v. CINDARILLA BROOKS, about 1819; m., HARVEY S. OLDS.
(Teresa’s 3rd Great-Grandmother)
**5. i. BETSEY BROOKS, (Caleb 4, Benj³, Benj.², William¹), was born at Western, Worcester, Massachusetts on 14 Nov 1801 and died at Warren on 3 Jul 1874. She married at Warren on 26 Nov 1828, JOHN STRICKLAND.
SOURCES AND NOTES:
TRIBUTARIES – Genealogies of the Brooks Families of New England by Christopher Brooks (Lots of information about William Brooks and his descendants with sources. The research has been thoroughly done over a period of years by Christopher Brooks.)
TRIBUTARIES – Genealogies of the Brooks Families of New England by Christopher Brooks (More information about Henry Burt and his wife Ulalia Marche from Devon, England with sources.)