Updated/Edited: 23 March 2016
Teresa’s Mother’s Ancestry
SURNAMES: Roork and Daugherty
This is what I have learned about my Great-Great-Grandmother Amma Falina Dowden:
First Known Generation
1. THOMAS DOWDEN, was born in 1650. He married, about 1680, ALICE PICKERING.
Children of Thomas and Alice (Pickering) Dowden:
2. i. JOHN² DOWDEN, b. in 1675; d. in Maryland in 1717
2. i. JOHN² DOWDEN, (Thomas¹)was born in 1675 and died in Maryland in 1717. He married, in Queen Anne Parish, Prince George’s County, Maryland in 1694, ESTHER ASHFORD, the daughter of Captain Michael and Rachel (Neville) Ashford. She was born in Maryland in 1669 and died at Queen Anne Parish, Prince George’s County, Maryland in 1694.
Notes: A portion [of Prince George’s County] was detached in 1748 to form Frederick County. Because Frederick County was subsequently divided to form the present Allegany, Garrett, Montgomery, and Washington counties, all of these counties in addition were derived from what had up to 1748 been Prince George’s County. In 1791, portions of Prince George’s County were ceded to form the new District of Columbia, along with portions of Montgomery County, Maryland, as well as the parts of Northern Virginia; that were later returned to Virginia.
Children of John and Esther (Ashford) Dowden:
3. i. RACHEL³ DOWDEN, b. in 1695
3. ii. MICHAEL³ DOWDEN, b. in 1700
3. iii. JOHN³ DOWDEN, b. in 1704
3. iv. THOMAS³ DOWDEN, b. in 1712
3. v. ELIZABETH DOWDEN, b. 1716
3. iv. THOMAS³ DOWDEN, (John², Thomas¹) was born at Queen Anne’s Parish, Prince George’s County, Maryland on 2 Jan 1712 and died in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1783. He married, MARY DAVIS.
Children of Thomas and Mary (Davis) Dowden:
4. i. ABRILLA DOWDEN, b. at Frederick, Frederick, Maryland on 22 March 1741; d. in Pennsylvania in 1818
4. ii. ZEPHANIAH DOWDEN, b. in Montgomery, Maryland in 1749; d. at Driftwood, Jackson, Indiana in 1820.
4. iii. ZACHARIAH DOWDEN, 1750
4. iv. THOMAS DOWDEN, 1758
4. v. CLEMENTITUS DOWDEN, 1762
4. iii. ZEPHANIAH DOWDEN,(Thomas³, John², Thomas¹) was born in Montgomery County, Maryland on 3 March 1749 and died at Driftwood, Jackson County, Indiana in 1820. He married in Maryland in 1778, MARY (_____).
Children of Zephaniah and Mary (_____) Dowden:
5. i. WILLIAM DOWDEN,
5. ii. JAMES M. DOWDEN, b. in Maryland on 12 Apr 1782; d. at Spencer, Owen, Indiana after 23 Dec 1858.
5. iii. THOMAS DOWDEN,
5. iv. ZEPHANIAH DOWDEN,
5. v. JANE DOWDEN,
5. vi. SUSANNA DOWDEN,
5. ii. JAMES M. DOWDEN, (Zephaniah, Thomas³, John², Thomas¹), was born in Maryland on 12 Apr 1782 and died at Spencer, Owen County, Indiana after 23 Dec 1858.
Census Heads of Household for 1830 in Harrison, Owen County, Indiana:
Dowden, Zachriah 514
Dowden, James 514
Dowden, William 514
Children of James M. and Unknown (_____) Dowden:
6. i. WILLIAM HARROD DOWDEN, b. in Clark County, Indiana on 9 May 1809; d. in Jackson County, Iowa on 2 Sep 1886.
6. i. WILLIAM HARROD DOWDEN, (James M., Zephaniah, Thomas³, John², Thomas¹) was born in Clark County, Indiana on 9 May 1809 and died in Jackson County, Iowa on 2 Sep 1886. He married, NANCY CHAMBERS.
Children of William Harrod and Nancy (Chambers) Dowden:
7. i. THOMAS JEFFERSON DOWDEN,
7. i. THOMAS JEFFERSON DOWDEN, (William H., James M., Zephaniah, Thomas³, John², Thomas¹) was born in Indiana, on 17 Sep 1831 and died at Cedar Gap, Wright County, Missouri on 9 Feb 1898. He married in Owen County, Indiana in 1853, MARY J. BIRLEY.
17 Sep 1831 – His birth date. I am trying to find the source for this date. We do have his age from several census records which also give the approximate year of birth.
26 Jul 1850 – Thomas is a laborer on the Stainhard Farm in Jackson Township, Washington County, Indiana. He is 19 years old, which would make his birth date to be between 27 Jul 1830 to 26 Jul 1831.
1853 – He married Mary J. Birley, most likely in Indiana.
1863 – The US Civil War Draft Registration finds TWO Thomas J. Dowden’s with different ages and occupations and living in different counties:
10 July 1863 – Thomas J. Dowden, age 28, Carpenter, married, Washington Township, Owen County, Indiana. (This would put is birth date between 11 Jul 1834-10 Jul 1835.)
5 Aug 1863 – Thomas J. Dowden, age 34, Farmer, married, Bean Blossom, Monroe County, Indiana. (This would put his birth date between 6 Aug 1828 – 5 Aug 1829.)
I am leaning towards the “Owen County” Thomas because he was living in Owen County in 1860.
8 Sep 1870 – Thomas J. Dowden and family are living in Washington, Greene County, Indiana.
21 Jun 1880 – Thomas and family are still in Washington, Greene, Indiana.
9 Feb 1898 – Thomas dies in Cedar Gap, Wright County, Missouri.
Children of Thomas Jefferson and Mary J. (Birley) Dowden:
8. i. JAMES ALBERT DOWDEN, b. in Owen County, Indiana on 26 Nov 1856.
8. ii. JOHN DOWDEN, b. in Owen County, Indiana in 1858 (possibly twin?).
8. iii. EVA MARY DOWDEN, b. in East Division, Owen County, Indiana in 1859.
8. iv. AMMA FALINA DOWDEN, b June 1860 in Owen County, Indiana.
8. v. WILLIAM O. DOWDEN, born in Owen County, Indiana in 1861.
8. vi. KING SOLOMON DOWDEN, born in Indiana on 2 Jan 1874.
8. AMMA FALINA DOWDEN, was born in Owen County, Indiana in June 1860 and died in Grandfield, Tillman County, Oklahoma on 1 May 1930. She married in Greene County, Indiana on 16 March 1879, JOSEPH S. DAUGHERTY.
Notes: According to the 1900 US Census she was born in the state of Indiana [possibly Owens County] in June 1860. Her son James Osker Dowden spells her name “Amma” on his World War I draft registration card. At the age of 18, Amma, married, Joseph S. Daugherty, in Greene County, Indiana, on the 16th of March in 1879. She and Joseph were the parents of at least NINE children.
Children of Joseph S. and Amma Falina (Dowden) Daugherty:
9. i. CLAUD DAUGHERTY, b. in Indiana on 14 Apr 1880.
9. ii. MARY FRANCES DAUGHERTY, b. in Indiana in June 1881.
9. iii. CORA ALICE DAUGHERTY “Alice”, b. in Missouri on 23 October 1883.
9. iv. WALTER DAUGHERTY, born in Missouri in January 1886.
9. v. GRACIE DAUGHERTY, born in Missouri in July 1887.
9. vi. JOHN WILLIAM DAUGHERTY “Willie”, b. at Springfield, Missouri on 7 Nov 1891
9. vii. ELLIE DAUGHERTY, b. in Missouri in Dec 1893.
9. viii. BULA DAUGHERTY, b. in Missouri in July 1896.
9. ix. JAMES OSKER DAUGHERTY “Jimmie”, b. in Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory (Oklahoma) on 27 Feb 1899. James died at Walters, Cotton, Oklahoma on 20 Jan 1984. He married VIVIAN (______).